Having your online community is the best way to connect your brand with your customers and create better relationships. However, Do you know that there are differences between public and private online communities? Let’s find out more about it in today’s article.
RELATED: What Makes a Good Online Community?
In This Article:
- What Is a Private Social Network?
- What Is a Public Online Community?
- User Engagement
- Platform Management
- User Experience
- Business Branding
Public or Private Online Community – Which One Is Better?
What Is a Private Social Network?
The term “private social network” refers to an internet-based platform that allows users to communicate, cooperate, and exchange information inside a “social” forum controlled by a business or an organization. A private social networking site provides greater value to a business than a public one.
- Logins are required to access information and dialogues, which are often delivered through an invitation to a specific group or pre-loaded in the community platform’s membership database.
- Login credentials are required for every user to access the site’s content and interactions.
- Users who do not meet the criteria for membership might be denied access by administrators (i.e., members, customers, participants in a specific industry)
What Is a Public Online Community?
- On the other hand, a public online community is where anyone can freely join, view, and interact with the information, discussion forums in the community.
- In order to participate in the community, users simply need to submit their username and password.
- One way to increase one’s professional and personal contacts is to interact with others through public social networking sites. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Linkedin, and so on are some of the most popular public social networking websites.
As a public community such as on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or Linkedin may be free, your accessibility to manage or control the community can be limited. That won’t be the case for using a private online community.
With a private online community, you will be able to customize it however you want. With a small investment in a private online community, you may make any design, functionality, backend, UI, or other modification. On the other hand, private social networks make it simple to tailor the experience for individual users. This encourages more active participation, more repeat business, and higher levels of consumer loyalty.
Every business that uses an enterprise social media platform has the same goal: to increase the number of individuals actively involved.
A public social network has become increasingly challenging to engage consumers these days. There’s already so much content from various businesses out there. There are so many different videos and visuals to keep the user’s attention.
On the other hand, the private online community has a user base that is solely interested in your company. Consequently, whatever you put on a community like this will be read, viewed, and published.
Because there are only a few people on your private social network, there is no rivalry or distraction. The only thing you can do is create a two-way conversation with your clients to build trust in your business. Compared to the public social network, it allows you to rapidly and easily engage more and more consumers.
The ability to control your data privacy regulations must be followed while starting and maintaining a social media community on well-known networking sites. As a result, your only option is to rely on the information provided by these sites to make a decision.
However, private online communities such as those created with phpFox give you total control over the data you collect from members. You’ll manage reports and user data better here, allowing you to conduct analyses and make smart marketing decisions with greater confidence.
Each user creates and maintains their social circle on a public network. It indicates that people’s interests and behavior influence how they communicate.
On the other hand, a private online community has a single point of contact, making it more transparent among all users. It provides you greater control over the stuff you want to distribute and how you want to enhance it so that more and more people are interested in your business.
Branding is another key distinction between public and private social networks.
Normally, on social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, etc., you are limited in what you can publish and how you can stand out. Additionally, these platforms have a limited number of personalization options for your marketing channel.
According to the interests and preferences of the members, a private social networking site is constructed. As a result, you can devote more of your time and energy to building a better brand image and increasing overall brand awareness.
In conclusion, if you’re a little low on budget, using a free public online community is probably the better option. However, there is so much you can do with a free online community. It’s always better to make some investment in building your private network or online community where you can have:
- Better personalization with your community
- Higher customizability can greatly enhance the user experience and boost your branding
- Greater management provide you with better insights and understanding of your community
PhpFox can help you build your ideal private online community where you will be able to manage it more effectively. phpFox is highly customizable with various built-in features that are easy to use, so you don’t need to worry about not having previous experience with coding. In addition, our dedicated support team is always available to help you out with all the problems you may encounter.
phpFox’s goal is to enable community builders and their members to accomplish amazing things together. Thanks to our current technological platform, community members may interact, communicate, and work more efficiently.
Contact us now! Let us know how we can help with your private online community
- What Are Online Communities? What Are Their Values?
- Different Kinds of Online Communities
- How to Build an Effective Marketing Plan on Social Media